Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why not frame a special card?


Whoo hoo, isn't this gorgeous?  It's the May Ribbon Club selection, and as I'm the lucky one invited to be a Guest Designer here on RRR this month, I got to play with this bright and cheerful color combination.  Thank you, Bonnie, for giving me this honor. 

Some of you who know me or visit my blog know that much as I love looking at dainty bows and frilly borders on cards, layouts and craft projects, and appreciate their beauty, I personally am totally unable to do "dainty" in any sense of the word!  I've tried, I promise ...    As a result, my projects tend to lean more toward contemporary, rather than traditional, and reflect my style and who I am.  (Who says you can't be stylish and contemporary in your 60's? LOL) 
I often make cards to order, using the person's own chosen theme, images and ideas as they relate to the recipient of the card, and I know that lots of these cards, because they are special, get framed because of their significance.   This card is a good example of that idea.  It starts off as a card, but has then been mounted in a simple frame.  If you're giving a beautiful keepsake card, why not give a frame at the same time, and let the card be enjoyed as a decorative item long after the special occasion has past?
It's quite a large square card, with 1" square and round punches used on various scraps of stamped, designer and co-ordinating paper, and as you can see, some of the gorgeous RRR ribbons used as tags and/or accents to add dimension and extra color.  I love how it turned out, and hope you do too.
Closer view.  (You will see that some of the colored scraps are punched from Cuttlebug embossed card, which also add a fun dimension.)


And here's the framed result.  (My apologies for the shadow bounce off the glass.)


Be sure to consider this option when next you make a special card for someone.

9 comments :

  1. A stunning simple card and such a clever idea Tilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tilly, that is awesome! I love what you've done with the ribbon! I love these colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome card Tilly!! I'm so glad to have you back as guest designer for the month of May!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing!!!!! i like this colour!! yuor card is most simply but in really nice!!!!!wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shadow box is genius! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this..and I am a shabby girl. I think the design is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is really cool! It looks like a piece of art I would purchase from a store--I will definitely try this! Wonderful idea and TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say